Saturday, May 28, 2016

Working on the JLPT N1 official sample test. (Part 2)

Well, another sunday is coming. Such a good time to continue where I left off. So, I did the Reading section and the Listening section of the sample test.

First, about the Reading section.

I didn't think that there is only 3 short passages (短文 - Each passage contains 1 question), in the real test, I always thought that there should be 5 short passages. But well, the less passage, the more time I can save to do other things, though.

But I made quite a bad result here, as only 1 answer was correct.

Next, there were 3 medium-sized passage (中文), with 9 questions in sum. I made better result here, as I made 6/9 correct choices.




In fact, these passages were not really hard to understand at all. I can say, I understand all what the writer wants to say. But the problem is, the choices. They were very confusing, and their meanings were very similar to each other. In some question, I would say, there was no wrong choice, only a choice that was more correct than the others. Well, reading the choices carefully to the find the correct answer is very time consuming, while time is very strict. 

From my experience, I would say, saving time is even more important than finding the correct answer for just 1 question, as I know many people that failed this test just because they couldn’t pass the minimum required score (19/60) of this reading section. Why? Because they spent too much time on just 1 question, and ended up with only 1/3 of the reading section getting completed, while not all of the completed questions were correct.  So I just read, then chose the answer that I thought it was the most correct, and move quickly to the next question. And well, my guessing ability had its limit, though.

Also, there were 2 long sized passages, with 4 questions in each. The first long passage, I skim-read it at “god-speed”, and finish it within only 5 minutes. And with that speed, there was no reason that the result could be good. Well, only 1/4 questions was  correct.  

I don’t know if this passage was hard, or just because I read it to fast, as I don’t really understand this passage at all. 

The second long passage came after the reading discussion part. When I did this passage, I realized that I still had a lot of time. So I slowed down a bit, and read it more carefully. And that really helped. I made a good result at this passage, as 3/4 answers were correct.

This passage was quite easy, the point of this passage was quite clear and easy to understand. I can confidently say that I understand ALL this passage. The only problem was still the choices of the questions.

Other than reading passages, there were also reading discussion and reading commercial letter part in this reading section. Each part contained two questions. These parts were not hard at all, they were only time consuming. Finding the correct answer with least time needed is the key to do these parts.

In sum, I made 14/24 correct answers in this reading section. Around 34/60. The good thing is, there was still 12 minutes remaining when I finished this section. If I had used this remaining time to recheck things, I would have made a better result, though.

Now, about listening section.

To me, listening is my weakest ability. 

But, listening is the easiest section in JLPT test, as this section’s average score of all examinees is a lot higher than the other sections. (You can see the statistic from the website of JLPT).


The first part of listening section was task-based comprehension. In this section, questions often ask you what the man or the woman needs to do after the conversation.

Some questions from this part were very clear and easy. But some questions, I didn’t really understand why I was wrong.

Also, knowing "keywords" will help a lot. So I recommend that you should learn them.

In sum, I got 4/6 correct answers from this part.

The next part was point comprehension.

This is the easiest part of listening section. I think there is nothing much to say about this part. Just try to get as many scores as possible from this part. Knowing keywords and knowing how these conversations often be can also help a lot. To know it, do the Shin Kanzen Master Choukai N1 Book.
 
About the result, I made 5/7 correct answers.

The third part is summary comprehension.

I always think summary comprehension part is easy. But my result of this part was quite bad, with only 2/6 were correct.

The part coming right after the part above was quick response.

I was quite surprised that the result was so good, as 11/13 were correct answers, though there were a lot of choices that I wasn’t very sure.

Also, some questions in this part require you to know some grammar points to truly understand what the speaker is saying. So you should also review all grammar points before taking the test.

The final part was Integrated comprehension, with 3 long conversations. Each of the 2 first conversations contained 1 question, while the final conversation contained 2 questions.

You MUST take note when doing this part, especially when you listen to the final conversation.

If you can take note good enough, this part is easy as fuck. 

3/4 correct choices were my result of this final part.

The result of listening section was quite good. I guess my score of this section is around 40/60.

In summary, my result of the whole sample test, I guess, is around 110-125/180. (To pass the test, the result must be above 100/180.)

Passing the test is very possible. 

I even still have 1 completely free month to prepare for it.

But the future is not a thing that can be foretold by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment